I think you can see the joy in these faces...the excitement...the knowledge that somehow, we were going to succeed and make this grand old lady of a building resplendent once more.
Fast forward to today, and the transformation is amazing. So much has happened. We're even launching our new monthly National Wine Club in September!! I can't even believe that our patrons have always been the ones to push us, to ask us to do this or that, and that each and every time, they--YOU--are right. You liked our menu selections and the wines we chose to complement these myriad dishes, many focusing on different ethnic flavors, and you kept asking us to do something special with this, so now we are. Every single month, we'll feature one specific wine, offer our members exclusive additional discounts on wines and spirits from our main menu, put together member-only wine tastings, include wine notes with each of the monthly featured wines, provide our members with discounts on overnight stays, and more. And of course, it was you who also wanted music to be part of The National Hotel and we simply said "yes." Our patrons are the ones who organize our weekly Thursday Open Mic Night, our Bi-weekly Tuesday Trivia Night, and so many other events. As much as Pete and I might want to take credit and pat ourselves on the back for doing this or that, the truth is that The National Hotel's patrons are the ones who have brought her back to its shiny new self.
In addition to the work done by these loyal friends of The National Hotel, I note with pride that her grandeur was always there; the foundation and structure of this 162 year-old building is solid. It's built to withstand little blips in time when life isn't smooth sailing and it needs to await a new captain at its helm. I see her as a great ship, one with stories of passengers traveling through their lives spending time transfixed by what she offers, from the beautiful porch out of which guests can look at passersby and enjoy the lovely summer days, to the Restaurant and Bar inside on the main floor that allows patrons to delight in traditional dishes and international culinary selections alike, while others prefer the camaraderie and casual atmosphere of our cellar pub, The Rathskeller (a.k.a. The Rat). And, being able to utilize the top two floors to accommodate overnight guests in our ten guest suites, is just another side to the many "personalities" of The National Hotel. There truly is something for everyone at The National Hotel.
There really is a lot happening over the summer and well into fall. Here is a running list of what is in store these next few months. We hope that you will be a part of it and join us for one, or many of the activities being planned with you in mind:
- Bi-weekly Tuesday Trivia, 8 - 10 p.m., downstairs in The Rat
- Wednesday Ladies' Night, 5 - 7 p.m., 1/2 off all drinks, downstairs in The Rat
- Thursday Open Mic Night, 9 p.m. - closing, downstairs in The Rat
- Saturday Night Live Music Series, 9 - 11 p.m., downstairs in The Rat--every month a different theme--December will have a Holiday Music theme
- Monthly Music Themed Night, 9 - 11 p.m., first Saturday of every month, downstairs in The Rat
- Sunday Musical Afternoon Series, 5 - 7 p.m., in our main Restaurant & Bar
- August 16th - 19th, "Farm to Plate" special weekend menu, supporting local & sustainable farmers
- August 29th, Wine Tasting in the Main Bar--call 908.996.3200 or email for information
- September: Back to School event/promotion - Kids Eat Free with purchase of an adult entrée, Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday.
- September 20th - 23rd, Indian Food weekend Additions to the Menu
- October 27th, Halloween Party, 9 p.m. - closing, featuring live music, prizes given out for best costume, downstairs in The Rat
- November 21st, Pre-Thanksgiving Celebration, 9 p.m - closing, featuring live music, downstairs in The Rat
- August 4 - Tubing For the Cause: Delaware River Tubing will host their 11th Annual event with over 500 pink inner tubes. For more information, please visit www.delawarerivertubing.com
- August 11th, Second Saturdays: There will be music, refreshments, sales, demonstrations and much more, 4 - 8 p.m. For more information, please visit www.frenchtownnj.org
- August 17th, Bring Your Own Cup Series: independent film screening of "Kilowatt Ours: A Plan to Re-energize America" at Frenchtown Borough Hall, 7 p.m. For more information, please visit http://www.facebook.com/FrenchtownGreenTeam
- September 2 - Frenchtown Riverfest "Goes To the Dogs": 12:00 - 6:00 pm there will be live music, entertainment, food, shop sales and specials, pet contest and much more.
- September 8th, Second Saturdays: there will be music, refreshments, sales, demonstrations and much more, 4 - 8 p.m. For more information, please visit www.frenchtownnj.org
- September 21st, Bring Your Own Cup Series: independent film screening of "City21: Multiple Perspectives on Urban Futures" at Frenchtown Borough Hall, 7 p.m. For more information, please visit http://www.facebook.com/FrenchtownGreenTeam
- September 29 - Green Fair: 11:00 am - 6:00 pm at the Old Frenchtown Field there will be green demos and products, fun activities, good eats and musical entertainment. For more information, please visit www.frenchtownboro.com
- October Weekends - Frenchtown in October (4 weekends - Saturdays & Sundays): Each weekend will have different family friendly activities with something for everyone. Restaurants will be offering special Fall menus and the streets will be lined with scarecrows. For more information, please visit www.frenchtownnj.org
- November 23 - December 31 - Shopping Just Got Better: Customers who shop at participating stores receive an entry form each time they spend $25 or more. Each winner will receive a basket full of gift certificates from participating shops throughout Frenchtown valued between $500 and $600. For more information, please visit www.frenchtownnj.org
As always, please continue to email us with your feedback, leave a comment on this blog, and stay up-to-date with everything being planned, by checking our website, calling us at 908.996.3200 or:
Thank you again for your continued support and patronage.